I couldn’t resist picking up on a few of the reactions to the Mayoral election results. It’s refreshing to see this democratic exercise has actually made people feel passionately about politics!
Here are some of my favourites:
- A Henley-on-Thames view can be read here. Ending on the comment: “Whether (in spite of his goodwill and determination) Boris will really be enough to reduce the number of young black men being shot in London remains to be seen.”
- ‘Have we elected the snorkmaiden?’ Find out here as JonNagl points out – ‘he’s the kind of candidate Nathan Barley would vote for isn’t he?’
- A Lib Dem standpoint from James Graham of quaequam blog can be read in the Guardian’s Comment is Free
- David Thompson’s round up of comments worth a look, including an interesting quote from Vivienne Westwood saying the results “expose democracy as a sham. Especially if people don’t vote for Ken.” Which does seem to indicate a delightful misunderstanding of the entire democratic system.
- An alternative, green viewpoint from philobiblon
- ‘What a disgrace!’ – an angry reaction against Boris’ racist comments from Charcol Ink
- ‘Bertie Wooster elected!’ runs the headline on John Naughton’s blog. He also makes the point that “Labour has been in power so long that it’s become boring. The man on the Clapham omnibus thinks it’s time for a change. It’s nothing to do with a belief that Cameron & Co are wonderful, or even competent.”
- A totally different mini-insight into the election observers – backroom bods behind the headlines.
- A brief thank you to Ken from Miranda Grell.
- News Post India’s view on Boris’ win, the successes of the BNP and the acheivements of Ken